Monday, March 2, 2009

Snack Fromage

Today, I was absolutely delighted to find Cheez Balls in a store called Ed (which we have affectionately dubbed "The Ed", often use in the context, "LOVE the Ed!"). Ed is basically the PriceRite of France ; it contains such delights as oft-rotting produce, hit-or-miss cheese and other dairy, imitation American brands, and a multitude of fish products, mostly of the canned variety, all for rock-bottom prices. Shopping at the Ed is clearly a necessity.

Life in Paris continues to be peachy keen but full of schoolwork...which will come to an end this Friday (Hallelujah).

Random highlights from the past week include but are not limited to:
Being hit on (read: harrassed) by French boys who looked no older than 15 years of age

Seeing Cyrano de Bergerac at La Comédie Française (though it was 3.5 hours long)

Eating an obscenely inappropriate amount of carbohydrates

Supporting local artists by purchasing jewelry at a craft fair (every samedi at the Bastille!)

Two Words: Jewish Deli
Supplementary words: bagels and pletzels in the Marais

Finding an AWESOME store that sold vintage books and magazines and getting an original ad poster from 1960 for 12 euros. Will definitely be going back to that store.

Speaking lots of French

Getting extremely excited for Rome and Venice

Finally buying some art supplies so I can artistically document my Parisian life

MEXICAN FOOD. Authentic. Complete with Mariachi band and Corona with lime.

Almost getting swindled by a gypsy. I like thinking that after living here almost 10 months, I know the difference between a gypsy and a kindly stranger. Today, major fail. But this lady was tricky. She had planted a gold ring on the ground and pretended to find it. She asked if it was mine, and I said no. We had a cute little conversation, wondering whether it was real gold or not. She tried it on ; it was too big for her, so she told me to take it. I was like, no, no, no, I don't want it, it's ok. She insisted. I started to get suspicious, but she finally put it in my hand and walked away. Then, after a second, she turned back around and started asking me for money/food. Fail. If you're going to beg for money, just beg for money. Or learn to play an instrument or something. Don't be super nice to someone to trick them out of money. That's as good as pickpocketing.

Sorry for the Gypsy rant. I need to go to grammar homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment