Monday, February 16, 2009

Eaten an Drinken



I apologize for the lapse in entries. After a few days of not writing, it's easy to get overwhelmed with how much there actually IS to write about, and then I simply don't write at all. Who knew blogging could be such hard work?

I spent this weekend in Amsterdam. While it was fun to laugh at the novelty of legalized cannabis and hookers proudly displaying their wares in front of full-length windows, I actually wanted to go to Amsterdam because it looked like a beautiful city, and it definitely lived up to that expectation. It was adorable...tiny, laid-back, welcoming, and overall charming - that's definitely the best word I can come up with to describe the Dutch capitol.

However, I think I was most in awe of the native Netherlanders. Not only were they friendly and helpful, but everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, spoke English. And not broken English. They spoke fluent, idiomatic English, with fabulous pronunciation. I have so much respect for people who are dedicated, intelligent, and open enough to learn another language, and because I now know how hard it is to speak a foreign language fluently, I respect them even more. So, here's to you, the Dutch!

Anyway, one fun activity on our trip included nearly missing our plane from Paris to Amsterdam. We underestimated the time it took to get to Charles de Gaulle by RER, and we ended up going through airport security at 7:50 for an 8:00 flight. Thinking we were doomed, we sprinted to our gate, where people were still checking in and not rushing at all. More people, in fact, boarded the plane after us. Put one more checkmark in the Europe column for the Europe vs. United States battle...because you know that NEVER would have happened in the States.

Other notable experiences: The food in Amsterdam was a lot cheaper than that in Paris. Coffees were approximately twice the size and half the price, including lattes and cappuccinos, which cost approximately $yourfirstbornchild in Paris. However, the price of museums and attractions was much higher in Amsterdam, so it pretty much evened out. I get in almost everywhere in Paris for free or for a drastically reduced price because I'm a student. Amsterdam has no such discounts unless you're under 17. This means that we chose NOT to spend 15€ for the Van Gogh museum (because the Musée D'Orsay has a great Van Gogh collection and is free for me) and instead opted for the Heineken museum, which was 12€ and included two beers. I mean, it was the cheesiest thing I've ever experienced, but hey, I was in Amsterdam!

On Saturday, we visited the Ann Frank house, which was an incredibly moving experience. We saw the rooms in which Ann and her family hid during the Holocaust, saw the original diary she wrote, watched interviews with her father and the people that helped hide the Frank family...it was a very emotional museum in many ways. I felt sadness, disbelief, anger, shock, and yet a deep sense of appreciation that Ann had written that diary and put a face to the horrors of the Holocaust for the rest of the world to see and sympathize with.

We also ate at a traditional dutch Panekkoeken house, where they serve giant, delicious pancakes stuffed with all kinds of yummy things (they're more like thick crepes than American pancakes) and had French fries smothered in mayonnaise (just like they say in Pulp Fiction) and took a cruise of the canals. Of course, we explored the Red Light District...and yes, it's everything you've heard and more. Our hostel, Shelter City, was actually a Christian hostel. They were extremely nice, our rooms was super clean, we got free breakfast, and I felt very safe there. I definitely recommend it! In fact, I recommend Amsterdam in general. I think it would be difficult to spend more than 3 or so days there as a tourist because it's EXTREMELY small, but if you ever get a chance, check it out!

Now it's back to the grind. I have tons of work this week, and I'm honestly getting sick of not being able to enjoy Paris as much as I'd like. Four more days til the weekend...I just wish I didn't have to countdown the days, it makes me feel awful. I want this experience to last as long as possible, not wish weeks to be shorter! Oh well. Please enjoy some lovely Amsterdam pictures!




No comments:

Post a Comment